Pyramid Peak via Rocky Creek at Twin Bridges

Pyramid Peak via Rocky Creek from Twin Bridges
Desolation Wilderness
Elevation 9,984

My friend Brent and I have been hiking for years together, but never anything like this. We've hiked around Mount Diablo, American River, Salmon Falls, etc. I'd been wanting to charge up a mountain and thought, what better mountain than Pyramid Peak, right? 
I hear people talking about it and wanted to give it a go. 
I had no idea what I was in for on my first peak...

The Rocky Creek Trail  trail from Twin Bridges. 

It was a gorgeous day. We left early and headed up Highway 50 to Twin Bridges. There is a parking lot across the street from the Trailhead. Oh wait, there is no trailhead. Add another hour to your day of hiking just trying to find the trail if you don't know where it is... Yeah, that was us. But we finally found it and were on our way. 

My friend Brent and I

The scenery is great. We are both pretty excited to be heading up the hill. It's getting rockier as we climb. 

Views are amazing from every angle. 

Our first glimpse of the mountain top. 

Yep, I'm heading up there!

And now it's closer. I can really start to see what I'm in for. 

Rocks, rocks and more rocks!! These are not tiny rocks either. HUGE rocks! Having never done anything like this before, I was pretty nervous about this part. 

But we kept climbing higher. Views getting better and better as we go. 

And higher still. And then nothing. I had had enough of the rocks for the day. We decided to take a break and eat lunch. I guess boulders and I aren't friends.... yet. I was pretty defeated. I rarely don't finish something I've started and this one will eat at me for a very long time I'm sure. I just really didn't have it in me today to finish climbing. We stopped about 200 feet from the top. It as very windy and cold. Brent was super nice about it, but I'm sure he will continue to give me a hard time about it, as friends do... I'll take it, I threw in the towel. But I will be back here again to get this one done. 

So, we built a pretty cairn 

I'm smiling now because we are coming down the mountain. Today was just not my day. It happens to all of us at some point I'm sure. Pyramid got the best of me today. 

See you again soon Pyramid Peak. 

This was about 6.5 miles roundtrip and a full day. 
We were at the trailhead by 8:30 and back down by 4 or so. 

Comments